onabookbender

Amanda Shofner

Grand Mistress of On a Book Bender. On the path of least revision. Wine supplier for grammar pain sufferers. #BecauseWine. Idea wrangler. Wielder of words. Black coffee drinker.

Amaryllis
Jayne Castle
Rampant
Diana Peterfreund
Bad Behavior
Jennifer Lane
The False Prince
Jennifer A. Nielsen
Light of the Moon (Legend of the Dreamer, Book 1)
David James
Amaryllis (St. Helen's Series #1)

Girl at Sea

Girl at Sea - Maureen Johnson 3.5Oh, man. When the main character nicknamed someone else "haircut," I knew I was in for a good time. There is a lot about this book that reminds me of following Maureen on Twitter. (Which I love, by the way. She's amazing and I want to be like her when I grow up.) It makes me wonder if that colors my perception of this book--would I feel the same way about the quirkiness of this book if I didn't follow Maureen?Girl at Sea is a pretty standard contemporary. Nothing groundbreaking, but just good fun. It's more of a feel good book, I think. One you can curl up with and read and not feel dragged down by any overwhelming emotion. Sometimes you need that. (And I did.) I liked some of the underlying messages here and I even liked the love triangle. YES, I JUST SAID THAT. So what? WHAT ARE YOU GOING TO DO ABOUT IT?Clio (along with the other characters) were fun. I liked the introduction of the past letters here. Though--now that I think about it--there could have been even more, and I wouldn't have minded. But it was tied in nicely, and I liked that. (But I like the inclusion of history in general, so there's that.) I don't think that Girl at Sea ever provides a really in-depth character study, but it doesn't matter: this book is just plain fun with a side of quirk. I needed something lighthearted, and Girl at Sea hit the spot.