onabookbender

Amanda Shofner

Grand Mistress of On a Book Bender. On the path of least revision. Wine supplier for grammar pain sufferers. #BecauseWine. Idea wrangler. Wielder of words. Black coffee drinker.

Amaryllis
Jayne Castle
Rampant
Diana Peterfreund
Bad Behavior
Jennifer Lane
The False Prince
Jennifer A. Nielsen
Light of the Moon (Legend of the Dreamer, Book 1)
David James
Amaryllis (St. Helen's Series #1)

The Girl in the Steel Corset (The Steampunk Chronicles)

The Girl in the Steel Corset - Kady Cross Original review: http://onabookbender.com/2011/08/22/review-the-girl-in-the-steel-corset-by-kady-cross/I liked The Girl in the Steel Corset and read it in two days, so it held my interest easily. But I also figured out what was going on and who was behind it long before the characters did. For me to be able to guess so easily and be right means that a) I wasn’t engaged enough in the book to be swept up so much that I forgot about making a guess and b) it was predictable. However, the plot did not hinge solely on this aspect, and luckily there were other aspects that kept me reading.I am not sure whether I simply don’t have enough experience with the steampunk genre or if it was not explained well enough, but there were times that I was confused by the world, like I was missing out on information that I should have already had. I also felt like the characters were under-developed. And both girls had their own little love triangle? Yeah, no thanks. I hate love triangles, though I will admit that Finley’s attraction to Jack and Griffin was a nice reflection of her two sides and actually made the most sense. The ending gives a pretty good indication of what the next book might have in store, but I can’t say that I have a burning desire to know. Would I read it if the book is placed in front of me? Heck yes. Would I go out and buy it? Probably not.